Eligibility for 2nd Dose
The provincial government sets the eligibility for second doses. Doctors Manitoba is monitoring this closely to help you find out when you can get your second shot. You must get a second dose to be fully immunized.
Doctors trust the safety and effectiveness of the COVID-19 vaccines approved in Canada. We recommend you get your second dose as soon as you are eligible.
Getting Ready to Book Your Second Dose
To get ready to book your second dose, you will need to know:
- The date you received your first dose, and
- Which vaccine you received for your first dose.
You can find this information by viewing your immunization record online through Shared Health, or by calling your local public health office (find contact info).
Who is eligible to book their second dose?
Second dose bookings are gradually becoming available. The provincial government sets eligibility for who can book their second dose appointments, not Doctors Manitoba.
You are now eligible to book your second dose if you meet any of the following criteria:
- You received your first dose on or before May 18, 2021, OR
- You are Indigenous (First Nation, Métis Nation or Inuit), OR
- You have a high risk medical condition, such as severe heart failure, HIV or Down syndrome, or if you receive dialysis, chemotherapy or other immunosuppressing medications, or if you receive home care four or more times per week or community living disability services. See the full list here.
Eligibility will continue to open up based on the date you received your first dose.
You should not book your second dose appointment unless it has been:
- At least 21 days (3 weeks) since your first dose of Pfizer
- At least 28 days (4 weeks) since your first dose of Moderna
- At least 28 days (4 weeks) since your first dose of AstraZeneca, though studies have shown stronger protection if the second dose is received 8-12 weeks after your first dose.
How do you book?
Find out how and where to book using our Vaccine Finder.
Based on new research, and a shortage of AstraZeneca vaccines, public health and vaccine experts in Manitoba are now recommending that if you received AstraZeneca for your first dose, you can receive an mRNA vaccine (Moderna or Pfizer) for your second dose. You must still meet the minimum criteria identified above under the “who is eligible” section.
It is recommended to get your second dose between 8 and 12 weeks after your first dose of AstraZeneca. The absolute minimum however, is at least 28 days (4 weeks) after your first dose.